Sunday 9 December 2012

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...

We are starting to see more and more decorations in the streets, and the odd little bits are creeping into the house.  Two very cute snowmen candle holders came home with me today from the German Christmas Market in Birmingham.  I didn't think to take a picture earlier but will definitely do so soon.  It was the first time we had been to this Market and I would highly recommend it, so reminiscent of a fantastic trip to the one in Dortmund a few years ago.  We found some fun Christmas presents, listened to Street musicians, drank gluwein, ate frankfurters, and also potato cakes with apple sauce (very unusual).  Then hot chocolate with whipped cream before catching the train home.  A fun day out.

Before we went this morning I did manage to bake some more mince pies, although I did use a packet of pastry rather than making my own.  There is a definite preference for home made pastry though as I still have mince pies left this evening! The count is now 4 and a half dozen.


I had to open the last jar of the 2011 Mincemeat today so will need to make some more fairly soon.  This one was very tasty but I am not sure where I got the recipe from.


Hubby was busy too before we went out and just look at this wonderful sour dough loaf.  He went on a course a few months back and now we have a weekly treat.  Needless to say it doesn't last long in this house!

 

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I love German Christmas Markets - there is actually one nearby us but it's always on the day after the English Christmas Market, so it seems like too much of a good thing to head out to it...

    I took some mince pies in to a group I teach today. They enjoyed them, but I couldn't convey the essential link between the mince pie and a British Christmas to them. Perhaps I should have told them it was the equivalent of the French foie gras in terms of 'key' Christmas food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have both been busy with results! The pies and loaf look marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I hadn't really thought about how British mince pies are. It is interesting how different countries have different customs. I sent an Advent calendar to a English friend teaching English in Japan and they really enjoyed the novelty of it.

    ReplyDelete